Sicily’s volcanic wines from Belpasso on Etna’s South slope through Milo on the east slope to Randazzo on the north, are definitely booming as are the wine and culinary tourism possibilities on offer at many of the wineries.
Barone Viagrande and Cantine Russo have deep roots in Etna wine making with Benanti adding to the flow of wine in the early 1990s. Since 2000 new blood came from Firriato and Planeta with many local families quick to reclaim their passion for the terroir such as Graci and Tornatore.
Attendees at the IWINETC Official Grand Tasting of Wines of Etna will discover the magic on the mountain thanks to a team up of two authorities on Etna’s varying terrorirs, wines and tourism. Valeria Carastro will take the audience around the horseshoe-shaped Etna wine region highlighting the distinctive local grape varieties, the myriad soil types, the history and the wine tourism possibilities. Giampiero Nadali will guide us through a tasting of 8 vibrant wines produced on the slopes of Europe’s most active volcano.
The following wines have been selected for the Grand Tasting:
- Murgo – Murgo Extra Brut 2009 – Nerello Mascalese
- Palmento Costanzo – Bianco di Sei Etna Doc Bianco2015 – Carricante(70); Catarratto(28); Minella e Trebbiano(2)
- Planeta – Feudo di Mezzo Etna Bianco 2015 – Carricante
- Barone di Villagrande – Etna Bianco Superiore Contrada Villagrande 2013 – Carricante
- Tornatore – Etna Rosso Trimarchisa 2014 – NerelloMascalese(90); Nerello Cappuccio(10)
- Tenuta di Fessina – Laeneo IGT Sicilia 2014 – Nerello Cappuccio
- Benanti – Rovittello 2012 – Nerello Mascalese; Nerello Cappuccio
- Cantine Russo – Etna Rosso Rampante 2010 – Nerello Mascalese(80); Nerello Cappuccio(20)
Explore a representative sample of the terroir driven wines of Etna at the 9th edition of the annual International Wine Tourism Conference.
IWINETC Grand Wine Tasting: Wines of Etna appeared first on International Wine Tourism Conference.